Making your bucket list for new places to visit in 2020? Have you considered adding Asia? With the 2020 Summer Olympics scheduled to be held in Tokyo, Japan, from July 24th to August 9th, your attention may be turned to whether to go. Here are six must-visit places in Asia in 2020 to add to your travel plans!
This post on the best places to visit in Asia contains affiliate links. For more information, please read our Disclosure Policy.
This is a guest post by Maryn Mcdonnell.
You are probably already planning for your next trip but Asia is not among your top picks. What you may not know is that Asia is home to a diverse and multicultural haven for some of the world’s oldest civilizations. Right from the remote islands to the cities, there are a lot of places to visit and a lot of things to do in Asia. At least once in a lifetime, you should make a point of visiting any one of these locations in Asia and experience the thrills and heritage of the East. This post has combined a list of 6 amazing and best places to visit in Asia in 2020 and experience a trip of a lifetime!
Top 6 Best Places to Visit in Asia in 2020:
1. Krabi, Thailand
This is a very popular tourist destination in Thailand filled with lots of things to see and do to make your trip worthwhile. The region has long stretches of spectacular shorelines and lush hinterlands with lots of leisure activities to do while visiting Krabi. There are a lot of activities to do including:
- Taking a short trip to Ao Nang: There are many beach accommodations in Krabi Ao Nang beach which have grown because of its aura of a small town but with the beauty of a beach resort.
- Taking a walk on Ao Nang walking street: Walk through the street and watch all kinds of people going about their activities on this busy street.
- Relax on Koh Lanta: Enjoy some chill-out time on the island, just 2 hours from Krabi and enjoy the stunning views and beautiful beaches.
2. Osaka, Japan
This picturesque city of Japan is located on the island of Honshu. If you are looking for a laid back destination, then this is the place for you. The locals are very hospitable. It is the best place to visit to learn everything you need to know about Japanese culture, not forgetting the local cuisines. Some things to do while in Osaka could involve:
- Visiting Osaka-jo: This is one of the most impressive buildings in the whole of Osaka, located right in the middle of a spectacular park that is charmingly encircled by a moat.
- Touring Kamigata Ukiyoe museum: This is the place to visit if you want to learn more about Osaka’s art including the Japanese print called ukiyoe. If you are an art lover, you will definitely love it there.
- Explore the Sumiyoshi Shrine: It is one of the oldest Shinto shrines in the whole of Japan, built over 1,800 years ago, bearing the ancient dainty design and ornate architecture.
3. Shanghai, China
There is so much to see and to in Shanghai, with a vibrant nightlife scene, posh private clubs, couture houses, and many other attractions. This is one of those cities where you can do it all, from enjoying some of the best soup dumplings to going on bike rides and buying some cool souvenirs to take back home with you. Some of the best places to visit in Shanghai include:
- The Bund: This waterfront boulevard is one place to visit to see and marvel over the city’s heritage and it is often filled with locals ballroom dancing and others practicing qi dong and tai chi. Don’t forget to take a selfie to capture the moments.
- Tianzifang: This is a labyrinth of alleys packed with restaurants, galleries, shops, and cafes where you will find anything and everything from vintage photos of the city to leather journals.
4. Bali, Indonesia
Being one of the most popular tourist destinations worldwide, you have no reason but to visit. Considered as an Island of the Gods, it is indeed a place to visit, edged with golden beaches and surrounded by beautiful seas. If you are a sucker for surfing, then look no more. There are loads of activities to do in Bali including:
- Surfing in Kuta: Kuta beach is a surfer’s paradise. The gentle waves are friendly for surfing activities and the rolling surf is free of sharp reefs because Kuta beach sits across from a sand bar. After a day of surfing, relax by the beach and enjoy the sunset.
- Going for muck diving in Padang Bai: Just in the East of Bali, lies Padang Bai, which hosts 7 different dive sites. You don’t have to be a diving expert because there is something for everyone, despite your diving experience.
- Visiting Tanjung Benoa and strap on a jetpack: This location is widely known for water sports and the most exciting is definitely strapping on a water jetpack and fly up, up to 10 meters and feel the adrenaline.
5. Hoi An, Vietnam
Hoi An is an epitome of pretty in the whole of Vietnam. Walking through the city will have you getting an ‘old town’ vibe, notably, because the city was never bombed during the Vietnam War. Located just by Thu on River, it is flanked by cafes, local markets, and bars. Apart from enjoying the food scene, you can also:
- Visiting Hoi An Museum: This place will open you up to the rich history and heritage of Hoi An, hosting a huge range of pieces and antiques, which tell the story of Hoi An. Enjoy the drawings, painting, photography, and ceramics in the galleries.
- Exploring Hoi An Silk Village: Get out of the city and head over to the silk village and learn more about the ancient weaving techniques of Vietnam. It is full of artisans who will gladly teach you the basics of making beautiful pieces out of silk.
- Click here to find out more tips to enjoy Hoi An at its best from someone who’s been there thrice!
6. Siem Reap, Cambodia
Siem Reap will blow your mind with the numerous mind-blowing and awe-inspiring ancient temple ruins, located just outside the mystifying temple tours. There is a lot to learn in terms of holiday antics, history and culture here. There are also several accommodation options ranging from luxurious hotels to budget hotels depending on your needs. Top things to do include:
- Touring Angkor Wat: Angkor Wat is definitely mesmerizing and magical on every level. The temple took a whole 30 years to build and it sits on over 208 hectares of land. Each of the temple’s structure is a representation of the different phases of life.
- Rent a quad or dirtbike: Enjoy the beautiful dirt roads of Siem Reap by renting a quad bike or a dirtbike. There are many tours in the area to help you with the renting services and guide you through the excursion around Cambodia.
Summary on the Best Places to Visit in Asia in 2020
Evidently, the options are limitless if you are looking to visit Asia. All of these locations should definitely be on your bucket list to visit at least once in a lifetime and experience the best of what the East has to offer.
About the Author
Maryn Mcdonnell is a travel writer who loves exploring the world, and shares her travel experiences with other passionate travellers out there! Find Maryn on Twitter @MarynMcdonnell
Do you have an Asia 2020 destination in mind? Share your plans with us!
Annick, The Common Traveler