Some posts on this site contain affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, I may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Read the full disclosure policy here.
I lived in San Antonio for two years and never once visited the Tower of the Americas. I needed to rectify that oversight during my last trip!
This Tower of the Americas post may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read our Disclosure Policy.
Here are 5 reasons to visit the Tower of the Americas in San Antonio:
1. The Tower of the Americas was the Tallest Structure in the US, 1968-1996.
The 750-foot-tall tower was built for the 1968 World Fair, HemisFair ’68. In 1996, the Las Vegas Stratosphere Tower surpassed it as the tallest observation tower in the United States. It is still the tallest building in San Antonio today. Both the grounds and the tower itself have been improved with multiple areas for guests – from the restaurant and bar, observation deck, 4D theater, souvenir shopping and beautiful gardens.
2. The Chart House Restaurant Rotates.
You’ll need reservations to enjoy dinner since the restaurant offers panoramic views of the city. With the floor slowly rotating, you’ll see the entire city. It is magical at night. The restaurant caters events in special rooms on the observation deck. These don’t have fabulous views but your guests will enjoy the observation deck. Talk about a unique dining opportunity! Check out the menus to get an idea of what is available.
3. Enjoy a breathtaking View while Enjoying a Drink at the Tower of the Americas.
If you don’t have the time or the budget to enjoy the restaurant, visit the 601 Bar. We went during Happy Hour and enjoyed a spinach-artichoke dip ($5) and some local drafts for a reasonable fee ($4 each). These appetizers were a great way to tie us over until dinner.
4. The Tower of the Americas Observation Deck Allows you to See the Whole City.
The elevator ride from the ground to the observation deck is approximately 1 minute 15 seconds. From the observation deck, signs display different sites. A board helps visitors locate everything from the Alamo to the neighboring Alamodome. Several interactive displays presented different aspects of the areas history.
5. The Tower of the Americas Grounds are Magnificent
This wonderful waterfall blocks out the sounds of the city. You feel like you are in a relaxing park even though you are in the middle of the seventh largest city in the United States. As we were leaving, we saw a wedding party taking photos with the park as the setting. Beautiful!
Things to Know Before you Visit the Tower of the Americas in San Antonio
- Tickets cost:
- Adults: $13
- Seniors & Military: $11
- Children 4-12 years: $10
- Children 3 & under: Free
- Parking rates vary from $8 during the week to $11 on weekends
- Admission includes unlimited time at the Observation Deck, Flags Over Texas and the 4D Theater Ride!
- If you have a fear of heights, this is not for you!
- It is pretty windy out on the observation deck. Walk counterclockwise so the wind blows the hair away from your face.
Our visit to the Tower of the Americas was one of the most fun things we did, so I highly recommend it. If you go earlier in the day, keep your visitor bracelet on, see some nearby sights, and come back in the evening to see San Antonio at night.
If you’re in San Antonio, these other posts will help you plan your trip:
- 10 Fun Things to do in San Antonio in a Weekend
- Visiting San Antonio’s Missions
- The Alamo
- Why you should visit San Antonio’s Riverwalk
- San Antonio’s VIVA transportation system
Annick, The Common Traveler